Tuesday, October 9, 2007

I can do all things...

Its amazing how things can change... How things you once thought were impossible, no seem like no big deal... how things that use to strike fear, pain, anger, sorrow, now can actually rise little emotion, or positive emotions...
I came across a recollection on my past few runs. I use to run cross country. In high school our races were 5K or 3.1 Miles. Quite a distance for your average runner. Once or twice a week, we would do long training runs. Usually 45 minutes to an hour. In those runs we would try to get about 7-8 miles in. We would take our time, run at a comfortable pace for the entire time. I was not always fond of those runs. They were boring, long, and there was no real reason for any person to run that far. I remember on one Saturday we were running at Zorinsky and we met two runners who were running three laps around the lake... over 22 miles. That seemed impossible!
Fast forward a few years. In the spring of 2005, I restarted my running career. I signed up for a half marathon. My training runs went from 3-4 miles to 8-10. A number that was once to huge and boring, now was a weekly occurrence. Then a year and a half after that, I was signed up for a marathon. My 8-10 miles came a few times a week, I even got into running 15 miles on Saturdays. Last night, I finished an 18.5 mile run, and could still jog afterwards.
Just a few years ago, running immense distances was terrifying, boring, something that I had no desire to do... now, a run isn't a run unless its a long one.
How things change. I remember being fearful of the idea of the Waters Edge. Now, I volunteer there, I have preached there a few times (that's probably scarier for the congregation), and its a place that brings great joy.
I hated reading just a few years ago, hated spending time doing that, when there was so much else to be done. Now, I love reading. It excites me, it makes me think.
Take time to think about things in your life that has changed. What use to seem dreadful, that now may bring joy? Kids? Marriage? Job? Growing up?
Its amazing the things we can accomplish when we put our minds to it... and of course, with a little help from God :)

No comments: