Tuesday, September 25, 2007

because it reflects the sun...

Normally i like to begin with a scriptural reference to guide my blog, but all i have is a song lyric. I am nearly positive that it comes from scripture, but my tired mind and impatience is inhibiting my ability to find it...
Anyway, the song comes from the Paul Coleman Trio. A great band, seen them in concert twice, amazing both times. Unfortunately they broke up.
But that's neither here nor their. One of their songs, which i actually don't care for much, shows the desire to be like the moon.
I want to be the moon, it reflects the sun; don't want to be the stars and shine on everyone.
The moons purpose at night is to illuminate the sky by reflecting the light from the sun.
So Tuesday night, tonight, I was running around Zorinsky lake. I felt pretty good after an 8.65 mile run Sunday, skipped Monday, and set off to do about 10 miles or so. I pulled into the lake around 7:45. I have met a friend here many a time at 7:30, but never had it been that dark. It past the sunset as I set off. Zorinsky is very poorly lit. Except for the parking lots, the only real light you ever have is the moon.
Luckily for me, it was shining brighter than i have seen in a while. Just by reflecting the light of the sun, i could see the path during my entire run. It was amazing. I have never had such a peaceful jaunt. I started to think of that song. The importance of reflecting God's light and what not... pretty cheesy connection i know...
As I rounded mile number nine or so, i biker was riding towards me. Not an uncommon thing on a trail... yet he had a headlight on his bike. His own light blinded me. It made it so i could not see even a foot in front of me. Think about driving on a dark highway... if the person driving towards you, has their brights on, you cannot see much else...
As they passed, i slowly regained vision, focusing on the reflected light from the moon. Back to peace, back to safety, back to comfort.
So often I like to be the problem solver, the person you can trust, the person who will bring joy to situations and what not. Not because I want to be the best or because it think I am better than others, I just like to bring a light into people's eyes.
Is my light more like that annoying bikers? or is it actually God's light reflecting through me? As I look back, very often it is not God, it is me. I want to be a star and shine my light on everyone. God's light is perfect, it is much bigger and better than mine...
Who's light are you shining?
Lets focus on being like the moon, and not the stars... God is a better light, than all of us put together...
PS... i actually ran about 14.5 miles tonight... go me. more than i have run since January when i was running my marathon! Hope to keep it up!

No comments: