Thursday, September 6, 2007

Today... As long as its still Today...

Hebrews 3: 12-13 "See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness."(NIV)

Sorry for the sporadic postings... no excuses. I hope to make more regular postings from here on out.

This morning at Bible study, Stacy and I came across this verse. Its a passage in Hebrews that has never stuck out to me before... but today it hit me a little stonger than normal.
Its the idea of today. Encourage one another daily, as long as its called Today, so that none of you... I am going to use this a little out of context.
Daily, so that Today... doesn't make a lot of sense even as I look at it now.
I will refer back to a few days ago. I was sitting at Cross Country practice (ok, i was actually standing). It was a more difficult one, trying to build leg strength and cardio so that running will get easier, and the kiddos will continue to get better. There was a lot of whining and moaning and more than enough walking to make the old folks at the malls jealous.
The other coach and I had some growing frustrations. Afterwards we talked to the kids about getting better each day. That in order to get better at running, and make it easier, you have to actually try it. And after each day, it will get easier, you will be more comfortable and so on. It takes one day at a time...
Fast forward.
There have been things in my life that I struggle with lately. With the start of school, I've been busy, and I have neglected running, and my quiet devotional time. I have all these plans of how I am going to get better. That by next week, my long runs will be 15 miles, I will be reading so many chapters a day and I will spend time in deep prayer everyday...
Weeks later, and guess what, its not true.
See, there is a problem... the more I focus on the future... the less I am taking things as they are today. The same advice I gave my runners. What i need to do instead is focus on the here and now. I dont need to worry about my long runs in the week. Or doing a few strait weeks of my devo's. What i need to focus on is getting better today. If I focus on the todays... those weeks will fall into place.
May God focus your todays, that your tomorrows will wait for tomorrow.

No comments: