Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Where I find my heaven...

Have you just ever had one of those days?
Man, today was one of those. Nothing seemed to go well. I was in a meeting for half of the day, I missed my plan time, which means, the time I normally spend making adjustments in class, grade, relax and prepare was gone. So I came back in the middle of my class... and nothing went well. The only good part was that I was able to get a run in with my x-country kiddos. But still now, I sit in my room with so much to do, I don't even want to start. Do you ever feel that way?
See this was supposed to end with our new youth director starting. Chad officially took the reigns of my job on Sunday. So I should have more time! Yet, it seems, there is even less.
Plus, I am growing cynical... I see the negatives in a lot of things. I find things to complain about. I am not normally this way, but for some reason, I have just been in that funk for a few days now.
Maybe its the loss of a job I really loved. Yeah, it was a lot of work, and yeah, I will be around just as much... but for some reason I feel empty, I feel alone, I feel distant...
All I seem to be hearing recently is bad news... failing health from close friends and their family... death of friends loved ones... surgery needed... other bad incidences...
Maybe, it takes me back to when I lost my dad last year. Things just seem to be not going well... they are not terrible, but you know... just not good.
Many of us can relate... we all go through parts of our life where things just kinda stink. Work is bothering you, kids demand every ounce of energy, friends and family offer attempts for solace, but everything seems to fall short....
I was listening to iTunes on my computer after practice... this song came on from the movie Dumb and Dumber... [thinking of the movie makes me smile :)]. The song plays as the guys travel to Aspen on the motor scooter. Its a song called Where I find my heaven by the Gigolo Aunts... yeah, weird I know...
The song has the underlying story that a guy is seeking his heaven, or his peace, through his daily life... the quiet desk lamp before a busy day, whispers and random silliness... all places where he find his peace, his Heaven.
It got me thinking, where is my Heaven? Where do I go for peace? Where do I go when the burden of life seems too much?
It took me over to another song of possibly my favorite band, Big Daddy Weave (in fact, one of their songs is the title of my blog site "Audience of One"). The song quotes a couple verses in Matthew 11: 28-30
28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
(Weird God sighting... We are supposed to read Matthew 11, if you are following Craig's one chapter a day reading plan! Holy Cow! God is awesome :))
Where is your heaven? Your true heaven should be laying your burdens at the alter. Yeah, spending time with family and friends is a short cure... I love hanging with my friends, in fact i am going to a concert with them tonight, and I love spending time with my mom and my family, but my issues are always waiting for me when i get back. The only way to find my true peace, my true heaven, is in the grace of God, and through his son, Jesus.
That's Where I find MY heaven... where do you find yours?
May blessings come upon your life and through your struggles. God is good, and God Loves You.

1 comment:

Diane Muir said...

Brad, I hope that you are able to daily see all of the heaven around you. Even when the grind gets to you. Yup, that's my prayer for you, cuz honey, you got a whole lot of stuff going on in your world - especially when you start it every day with tons of kids!

And I'm so sorry that you feel badly about no longer working at FW. I can give you platitudes, but you have GOT to know that even though the paycheck isn't there, you are ... you are part of our heart and soul, Brad.