Sunday, July 1, 2007

Because He first loved us...

God is amazing isn't he? Everyday I do something that falls short of the glory of God; everyday I do something that disappoints God, and me; everyday I am a little unlovable...
Now, I won't bore you with the gory details... but, take my word on it, I make mistakes like everyone else, in fact, I think I make enough for a few people. Yet God loves me anyway. God loves me despite all the things I have done. God loves me.

Jesus talks about love over 20 times in the New Testament. Not just talks about it, but gives direct commands to love:

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind, and love your neighbor as yourself" (Matthew 22: 27-29 paraphrased)

"Love as I have loved you" (John 13: 34-35 really paraphrased)

So, Jesus asks us to love as he has loved... love those who like me, can be unlovable. That is hard!! How do show love to someone who does not even like me? Or how do I show love to a person who can just get under your skin and make your bones shake? How do I love those who are unlovable? And why should I even try? What good is it to me?

Those are some pretty good questions. I find myself asking those questions at times... God, you know this person, they are difficult! They are hard to be around! I try to be nice, but they drive me crazy!!!

We have all said it, or at least thought it... come on now... I admitted it, you can too!

I found my encouragement in one of John's letters. Well, maybe not encouragement as much as justification...

Buried deep in the back of the bible is 1 John 4: 7-8. It reads as follows.

"Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love, does not know God, for God is love." (NIV)

Whoever does not love, does not know God... Wow... Guilt trip! No matter how hard it is for me to love someone, I need to do it. Love is God. By loving we grow closer to God; by loving we learn more about God; by loving we become more like God. Remember, we were once unlovable. But God spared us while we were still sinners... while we were unlovable... God sent his one and only Son to die on our behalf. To take our sins away. To make us perfect in His eyes, all because he loved us.
Thank God! As you begin your week, pray for God to help you love the unlovable... help you mend those relationships hurt and strained for various reasons... to help you love others in the way that He first loved us.
May God's blessing be upon you all! May you grow closer to God in your journey of love!

1 comment:

Diane Muir said...

So ... when I don't feel loving to my husband ... hmmm ... hate that! {grin}.

Yea that you are on blogger! And ... you've been tagged - check out my blog.

http://nammynools.blogspot.com/