Thursday, July 19, 2007

Humble Pie...

Don't you love God? Sometimes He upsets me... now don't get me wrong, I am not mad at Him, I don't hate Him, but sometimes He humbles me, and well, I don't like it... (I deserve it, but I don't like it...)
It all started Wednesday afternoon. Fresh off our mission trip to the gulf coast, I was reenergized to do more work for God, you know how it is. Well, we started our summer youth Workship program, which is a short lunch and service project on Wed. afternoons. Anyway, I was excited, ready to work with some of my favorite people... Well, or so I thought. Looking for work to do a few weeks ago, I was informed by my Business Director that the churches parking lot was in dire need for a cleaning. You see, the church wants to repaint lines and clean it up a bit, but unfortunately, it needs to be swept first.
So, I am excited for any opportunity to give back to the church for all the support it has given me and the youth ministry. I had it down that if we could get 15 or so people, we could get the lot cleaned in two hours... Well, when 11:4o roles around, I had six. Six people. My optimism went right down hill. Oddly enough, one had to leave shortly after the meal too, so yeah, now five people. Still somewhat grateful that I wouldn't have to do it myself, I was ready to get to work. Little did I know, well, 90 degree heat and humidity awaited us outside, plus a breeze that would take half your swept pile and spread it back out... so progress was not coming very easily.
As the temperature rose, and my fatigue grew, I started getting a little bitter. I wondered, how in the world can I have just had 65 people travel for nine days to go to Mississippi and do hard work in even worse heat and humidity, yet I cannot get 15 people to take three hours to do a project. I was strating to get frustrated. Also, how come we get such accolades for doing that long mission trip, yet we get no recognition for mission work done for the church? That's not just the youth ministry, but for all the people who do repairs and gardening and other stuff for the church, how come we do not give them glory and honor for their work and dedication? Sorry for that tangent. Anyway, I don't write this to guilt trip those who weren't there (cause I am not sure I would have been there if it wasn't in my job description) but a general concern for this type of ministry. Why is it so difficult to do local stuff, things that may not get thank you's, yet traveling afar and doing hard, sweaty, and dirty work gets a lot of recognition? Why should I do local stuff, when well, no one even notices it was done...
Well, it took me until my run today to figure it out. It was a lovely dose of crow that God loves to give me!
I was listening to my iPod today, and a song came on. It was Trust and Obey, a classic hymn that is a personal favorite... The lyrics will be posted at the end of this blog for your own reading. But anyway, the first verse just struck me. When we walk with the Lord, in the light of His word, what a glory He sheds on our way...
Man, I was guilted pretty hard core. You see, I realized, it does'nt matter what I do, or who I do it for, or who notices, that is not the reason I should be doing the week. No matter if I do the next four mission projects by myself, I need to do it joyfully for it is not for man, but for the Lord. It is not for me, or the youth group, it is for Jesus, because you know, he did things for me before I even wanted to thank Him.
Learn from my mistake. Its not about the Glory. Its nice to get the thanks, its nice to get the recognition, but, don't let that be your reasons, don't let that be all you get from your experience. Enjoy the glory of God that He will shed on you as you work. May God bless you in all your work you do for the Lord.

Trust and Obey: John H. Sammis

When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word,
What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will, He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.

Refrain:
Trust and obey, for there’s no other way
To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

Not a shadow can rise, not a cloud in the skies,
But His smile quickly drives it away;
Not a doubt or a fear, not a sigh or a tear,
Can abide while we trust and obey.

Not a burden we bear, not a sorrow we share,
But our toil He doth richly repay;
Not a grief or a loss, not a frown or a cross,
But is blessed if we trust and obey.

But we never can prove the delights of His love
Until all on the altar we lay;
For the favor He shows, for the joy He bestows,
Are for them who will trust and obey.

Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at His feet,
Or we’ll walk by His side in the way;
What He says we will do, where He sends we will go;
Never fear, only trust and obey.

1 comment:

Diane Muir said...

It just sucks when God smacks us around. And it is even worse when we've done it to ourselves. All He wants us to do is lay it before Him and all we do is hold on to everything and make it all about us. Good blog.